At ASP, we love our staff alumni! This amazing group of people has spent one or more summers (and/or years) going above and beyond for homeowners, volunteers, and the communities we serve. Alumni, if you are looking for ways to stay connected and engage with ASP, this is your space!
ASP has several opportunities throughout the year to gather with fellow Alumni in person and virtually. Check back for updates on these seasonal events.
ASP staffers go out to become leaders in their communities and career sectors. This is a powerful community to network with, so we encourage you to use the following online resources to your advantage.
Want to give back to an organization that changed your life? There are numerous ways you can engage with summer staffers and ASP as a whole, to help ASP continue to develop the next generation of community leaders and serve families in Central Appalachia.
Complete the survey to ensure your contact information is up to date, and receive alumni-specific emails about engagement opportunities and events. Sign up for the bi-annual alumni newsletter.
Alumni Weekend: This is an annual event, typically hosted in January or February. In 2023 we anticipate offering both a remote (via Zoom) and in-person option. The weekend consists of networking opportunities, story-telling (Folk & Lore), and typically one event with guest speakers from the community.
Regional Alumni Meet-ups: Once a year ASP will encourage ASP Alumni meet-ups in various cities throughout the country. This is a very casual way for alumni to connect with those in their area and enjoy some ASP comradery. Stay tuned to social media and your email inbox for information on when and where these are taking place.
If you have questions or want to know more, email email@example.com
The Alumni Book Club meets 5 months out of the year: September & October, January & February, and May. Reading is optional! You can attend simply for great conversations. Each “season” has a different social justice topic (racial injustice, the wealth gap, climate justice, Appalachian stories, etc.). Books are combined with other shorter mediums such as podcasts and articles for a lower time-commitment.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in participating.
Where in the world are ASP Staff Alumni?
This ASP Alumni group is an excellent location to post job opportunities and connect with other alumni in your industry.
This is one of our primary modes of communication with staff alumni. Feel free to share articles or job opportunities, or post about your latest home repair project. Looking for a job or contact in a particular field? Post in this group to find out who you might connect with.
Current Job: Edgewell Personal Care, Global Procurement Manager, Shelton, Connecticut.
Positions at ASP: Summer staff: Perry County, KY ’14; Sullivan County, TN ’15
Question 1: What ASP skill do you use most in your daily life and/or career?
Resiliency. Nothing prepares you to bounce back quite like a day of “runs” that don’t go according to plan.
Question 2: How did ASP impact how you approach your career or life calling?
Approach everything with a servant’s heart. Humility is an admirable trait at all levels and fosters a selfless and supportive environment.
Question 3: What do you miss most about ASP staff?
ASP consists of incredible people: staff, volunteers, and the families we serve. I miss the people. Fortunately, many are still in my life today (that’s why I married one).
Adopt a Summer Staff
- Sign up as an individual or group to adopt a staff over the summer by sending care packages, gift cards, or notes/videos of encouragement.
- Follow the county Facebook pages to see updates from the staff on projects, fundraisers, and more. See the Center pages for county Facebook links.
Email us at email@example.com for more information and to sign up.
Alumni Engagement Committee
- Group of selected alum willing to help ASP design and implement engagement strategies
- Quarterly meetings
- If interested in joining, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteering/ Helping Hands
- Bring a summer group or come during the year! We always welcome you back.
- Want to volunteer but don’t have a group? Past staffers make great helping hands so sign up to come HOSS a staff or volunteer group any time of year.
- HOSS: (v.) to help other staffers succeed; being flexible and available to support others
- You know better than anyone that donations go a long way!
- Consider donating to a staff’s fundraiser throughout the summer, to ASP’s CCW fund, or to the general fund! Learn more about donating here.
- Help ASP continue serving families in Appalachia while also supporting the next generation of ASP staffers, who we all know go out to be incredible leaders across the country and world
Biannual Alumni Newsletter
- Coming Soon!
- It’s like the Blue Foam, but for alumni of all ages
- Alumni-specific updates on all things ASP
Have an engagement idea that you want to start up or see posted here? Email email@example.com
- Communication specific for Staff Alumni
- Fill out this survey and make sure your email is up to date.
- You can specify what type of involvement interests you the most and those are the emails that you will receive.