Spend a year serving, growing, and discerning with ASP. Lead one of our year-round centers to host volunteers and complete home repair and replacement.
ASP Fellows will live and serve together in rural Appalachia, working to eradicate substandard housing while listening for God’s calling in their life.
Fellows will serve for a year in teams of four at one of ASP’s year-round center locations. They will coordinate more than 1,000 volunteers as they serve 40-50 families, making homes warmer, safer, and drier. Fellows will be a part of a team that challenges each other to hear and respond to God’s call in each other’s lives, by participating in a supportive community, guided discernment activities, and personal mentoring.
- Must be 18 years old and at least one year removed from high school
- Willing to obtain CPR and First Aid certifications
- You must want to live and work in an ecumenical Christian environment
- Desire to live simply as part of an intentional community
- You must have a satisfactory background check and driving record
- Excellent communication skills
- The desire to participate in a vocational discernment program and support others as they discern their call
- To keep an open-mind toward others
- Be committed to serving the entire term of the program (May 2020- late May 2021)
Where & When
Each Fellow will be assigned to one of ASP’s year-round centers–current openings include Jonesville, VA and Johnson City, TN.
ASP fellows live and work in one community along with their staff.
- Mid-May – Summer Staff training in Jonesville, VA
- May-August – Summer Staff
- Early August – Summer Staffers depart, fellows training begins
- August-May – Fellowship program ensues with training, volunteer hosting, professional development, and vocational discernment. Time off for holidays included.
- Step 1 – Complete the online application
- Step 2 – Initial virtual interview with one of ASP’s Hiring Managers
- Step 3 – Group interview during a Staff Applicant Workshop (SAW)
Staff Applicant Workshops
If extended an invitation, the final step of the application process is a Staff Applicant Workshop, or SAW. SAWs are day-long, group-interview style events held primarily on Saturdays between October and March. Applicants meet each other and ASP’s hiring team to participate in activities designed to simulate the summer staff experience.
here is no formal deadline for a SAW, however you must apply at least 2 weeks prior to the SAW date you hope to attend.
Current SAW dates and locations:
- Dates range from September 3, 2020 to February 13, 2021
- Please note, this year all SAWs will be held virtually
Who is ASP?
Warmer. Safer. Drier.®
ASP volunteers provide high quality home repair for Appalachian families
ASP volunteers and families develop life-long relationships
Everyone who comes into contact with this ministry is transformed
Warmer. Safer. Drier.®
What it's like to be on ASP Staff:
“There is something wild and amazing about being the literal hands and feet of Christ. And offering everything you have, every day, to serve others.”2018 Staffer
“DO IT! It is the most life changing and love filled summer I have ever had.”2019 Staffer
“It is the most challenging, rewarding, transformative, and amazing thing I have every done. And as crazy as it sounds, I would do it again in a heartbeat.”2018 Staffer