Home repair mission trips that combine direct service with regional education, cultural immersion, and transformational experiences and are designed for high schoolers, but also accept college students and adult volunteers.
Types of Projects
ASP projects cover a wide range of construction skill sets, so we can find something for your group regardless of experience. We'll pair your crew with a project that fits your needs and comfort level.
- Roofing – Replacing and repairing roofs can lead to significant improvements, mitigating damage caused by leaks.
- Drywall – Drywall projects can be ceiling repair, wall repair, or part of a room addition.
- Siding – Repairing existing siding or installing new siding weatherizes a home from the elements, making it more efficient and reducing utility costs for homeowners.
- Floors and Foundations – Ensuring floors are sturdy makes homes safer, giving families the ability to make better use of their space.
- Porches and Ramps – Building and restoring porches and ramps make homes accessible for residents for both daily and emergency use.
Each summer, ASP serves 20-30 communities across Central Appalachia. ASP typically leases schools, churches, or community centers to serve as summer centers.
Groups are asked to share preference on state location or maximum drive time during registration. Exact locations are assigned based on group preference and ASP need.
- Kentucky – ASP works in communities in eastern Kentucky
- North Carolina – ASP typically serves in western North Carolina
- Tennessee – ASP works in northeastern communities of the Volunteer State. ASP headquarters is also located in Johnson City, TN.
- Virginia – ASP works in southwest Virginia. ASP owns a year-round volunteer hosting facility in Jonesville, VA.
- West Virginia – ASP works in central and southern West Virginia
Summer center assignments are finalized and communicated by mid-April.Current Locations
- Minimum group size is one work crew (5-7 individuals)
- While our summer groups are predominantly high school groups, all adult and college groups are welcome during these weeks as well
- All volunteers must be 13+ and have completed 8th grade
- Each work crew needs at least 2 adults 19+
- All adults must have a completed background check
- Groups must provide their own transportation. Each work crew needs their own vehicle.
- ASP believes that each person is a child of God, imbued with dignity and worth. All are welcome to respectfully and peacefully participate with ASP, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
Mission Trip Dates
ASP Summer Program offers volunteer opportunities from the beginning of June through the beginning of August. Groups arrive Sunday afternoon and depart Saturday morning.
- Week 1 – June 13-19, 2021
- Week 2 – June 20-26, 2021
- Week 3 – June 27-July 3, 2021
- Week 4 – July 4-10, 2021 – Discounted rate of $325/person
- Week 5 – July 11-17, 2021
- Week 6 – July 18-24, 2021
- Week 7 – July 25-31, 2021
- Week 8 – August 1-7, 2021
- Week 9 – August 8-14, 2021
- Week 10 – August 15-21, 2021
- Week 11 – August 22-28, 2021
- Week 12 – August 29-September 4, 2021
Fall, winter, and spring trips are available through our Year-Round Program
Mission fees include:
- Hot breakfast & dinner
- Supplies to pack lunches for worksites
- Building materials
- Staff oversight and guidance
- Regional education
- Faith based programming
- Life-transforming experience!
Warmer. Safer. Drier.®
Who is ASP?
Warmer. Safer. Drier.®
ASP volunteers provide high quality home repair for Appalachian families
ASP volunteers and families develop life-long relationships
Everyone who comes into contact with this ministry is transformed
“Sharing our time volunteering at ASP were some of the most rewarding events/years we’ve ever done. The joy you get working with the families, kids and ASP team members is epic! It’s something you will never forget!”Char WellsAdult Volunteer
“Words can't describe the experience I had this week. The fact that our group was able to touch the lives of so many families in Kentucky is amazing. This week I discovered the true meaning of joy through 4 year old Christian at my worksite. I experienced love in action and I am so blessed to have been a part of this trip.”Kat ArenaHigh School Volunteer
“They are a blessing. Wonderful people , with such love. i will never forget them or forget what they've done for me. God bless each and every person involved in ASP. I know they make Him proud and He is smiling at them. Thank you!”Della IsaacsHomeowner
Thinking about leading a group? Find out what it takes to plan and execute a trip with ASP and see all the resources available to help!Learn More
Have a group already registered? Join the trip and learn more about serving ASP.Learn More