We are hiring passionate, dedicated, hard-working young adults to serve on our summer staff, running ASP’s volunteer hosting program in over 25 locations each year.
ASP summer staff members work in teams of four, running the volunteer program at an ASP summer center. Each week, summer staff welcome a new group of volunteers and make sure that they provide quality home repairs to Appalachian families.
Summer staff members help volunteers develop meaningful relationships with those families, while making sure the volunteers’ needs—from food to tools and materials to rest and encouragement—are being met.
Every evening when the volunteers gather at the center tired and fulfilled, summer staff lead spiritual programs to help them volunteers unpack their experience while learning more about Appalachia and themselves.
- Manage construction projects
- Empower volunteers to succeed and provide excellent customer service
- Serve the community as a representative of ASP
- Ensure that a spiritual environment is fostered at the center
- Actively contribute to the staff team
- View full list of Collective Staff Responsibilities
- In addition to the collective responsibilities, each staff member is assigned one of the following positions:
Your summer staff experience can fill internship credit for your school. Let the hiring team know if you would like more information.Full Job Description
- Must be 18 years old and at least one year removed from high school
- Willing to obtain CPR and First Aid certifications
- Valid driver’s license and driving record that is acceptable to ASP’s insurer
- Excellent communication skills
- The desire to serve volunteers, homeowners, your staff and God
- Be able to work the entire summer mid-May through early August. Some exceptions can be made and should be indicated on the application.
Where & When
ASP works in more than 20 communities throughout Central Appalachia each summer. ASP serves in Eastern Kentucky, Western North Carolina, East Tennessee, Southwestern Virginia, and Southern West Virginia.
ASP summer staffers live and work in one community along with their staff. Staff’s live and work at an ASP summer center, which are often schools, churches, or community centers.
- Mid-May – Summer Staff training in Jonesville, VA
- Last week of May – Staffers set up their centers and select projects in their assigned counties
- First week of June through last week of July – Staffers host 7 weeks of volunteers
- First week of August – Staffers close out projects in their counties and return to Jonesville, VA
If extended an invitation, the final step of the application process is a Staff Applicant Workshop, or SAW. SAWs are day-long, group-interview style events held primarily on Saturdays between October and March. Applicants meet each other and ASP’s hiring team to participate in activities designed to simulate the summer staff experience.
There is no formal deadline for a SAW, however you must apply at least 2 weeks prior to the SAW date you hope to attend.
Current SAW dates and locations:
- Dates range from September 3, 2020 to February 13, 2021
- Please note, this year all SAWs will be held virtually
Who is ASP?
Warmer. Safer. Drier.®
ASP volunteers provide high quality home repair for Appalachian families
ASP volunteers and families develop life-long relationships
Everyone who comes into contact with this ministry is transformed
Warmer. Safer. Drier.®
What it's like to be on ASP Staff:
“It is the most fulfilling thing you could do for a summer. You will never question if what you are doing is right or just. You will spend the rest of your life transformed by the unconditional love and acceptance that this ministry encourages every day.”2019 Summer Staffer
“DO IT! There is no better way to spend a summer- in regards to personal, professional, and spiritual growth”2018 Summer StafferEmpowered to follow my passions
“There is no other job that can match the amount of responsibility you are entrusted with from the beginning…You will surprise yourself and grow in so many ways that you never knew you could. You will learn construction, obviously, but more importantly you will learn teamwork, cooperation, customer service, attention to detail, project management, and determination.”2019 Summer Staffer
Staffer in Training Week
Shadow an ASP staff for a week to see if Summer Staff is right for youLearn More